Remember, anyone can publish anything online! Make sure you take a critical look at any websites you are considering using for your research! Some things to ask yourself about the website...
- Who or what group is the author? What are their credentials.
- This could be a person, company, organization, etc. Think about what makes this person or group an authority or expert on the subject.
- Who is the intended audience?
- This could be the general public, other experts in the field, children, parents, etc.
- Is the information accurate and unbiased?
- Is it clear if the information being presented is fact or opinion? If it's fact, are there citations or links to where the author has found supporting information?
- Is the information current?
- Try to find out when the website was last updated or if there is a publication date for the particular page you are viewing.
For more information on evaluating websites, check out this research guide.