Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The 2nd edition of Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology details the classification and cultural characteristics of prokaryotes. The text is organized by molecular-based classification systems. Bergey's is necessary for any student who wishes to learn about a specific species, genus, family, or species or to know more about prokaryote taxonomy in general.
The 5-volume consists of:
- Volume 1 (2001): The Archaea and the deeply branching and phototrophic bacteria
- Volume 2 (2005): The Proteobacteria—divided into three books:
- 2A: Introductory essays
- 2B: The Gammaproteobacteria
- 2C: The Alpha-, Beta-, Delta-, and Epsilon-proteobacteria
- Volume 3 (2009): The Firmicutes
- Volume 4 (2011): The Bacteroidetes, Spirochaetes, Tenericutes, Mollicutes, Acidobacteria, Fibrobacteres, Fusobacteria, Dictyoglomi, Gemmatimonadetes, Lentisphaerae, Verrucomicrobia, Chlamydiae, and Planctomycetes
- Volume 5 (in two parts) (2012): The Actinobacteria
Bergey's manual of systematics of archaea and bacteria (2015), an online book, replaces the five-volume set. Ventura College does not currently have access to this edition.
The Tutoring Center has a full set of the Bergey’s Manuals and offers tutoring on a drop-in and appointment basis. Please visit them for more details.
The Tutoring Center
Location: First floor of Library and Learning Resource Building (LRC).
Phone: (805) 289-6026
Se Habla Español
Students seeking assistance must be enrolled in the class in which they wish to receive tutoring.
The second edition of Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology volumes 2-4 is available online via SpringerLink.
To access SpringerLink: VC Homepage – Quick Links – Library – Find Books – eBooks – SpringerLink – Search box enter “Bergey”
SpringerLink contains the full text of over 25,00 books available entirely online. These books, covering areas such as nursing, biomedical sciences, engineering, computer science, and chemistry, can be read by more than one person at a time. Entire book chapters can also be downloaded in PDF format. You can also search for books in our online catalog. In addition, you can also access thousands of other articles, book chapters, textbooks, medical and biomedical protocols, and reference texts for free.